<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 07, 2004

I'm up in the Bay Area on business the last few and next few days. Not driving means more wine time. Tomorrow is the Family winemakers event, so around dinner with some reporters tonight and the last few days and all, I get to hit that event too before more meetings on Tuesday.....oh and like I don't want to go to a trade tasting...RIGHT.

Anyway, tonight's dinner is partially about educating one of my good friends who writes for Business 2.0 about Indian food (his Ancestry) and wine (my habit). The promise is he teaches me about Indian food (something I can't get enough of, especially after my London adventures) and I teach him about wine. So with that in mind I called on my long time online wine colleague in SF, the MW herself, Melanie Wong, well known to many on the Compuserve Wine Forum, and within SF/Bay Area wine circles, to source the best Indian food in town. I went to K&L and was as always blown away by their super selection of Austrian, Alsatian, Germans and more importantly, their southern hemisphere selection. I pulled a killer Gruner Veltliner, a South African Cabernet Rose, a Loire Cabernet Franc and a German Kabinett.

While I'm waiting to head to lunch at my favorite Mexican joint on the left coast, Cafe Marimba, I'm sipping a superb Austrian too. 2003 Weingut Hirsch, Kamptal Gruner Veltliner. For those of you who love dull, boring, overoaked and butter Chardonnays, you can stop reading now. This is not your kind of wine. For those of you who prefer more interesting, thought provoking wines with character and style, and sophistication read on.

The wine is not fat. Instead you get a thick, well structured white, with gobs of tropical melons, oranges, Meyers lemon and substance. The wine is round, with hints of tangerine, honeydew melon and a nice non too acidic dollop of pineapple.

This is a perfect no food wine....fleshy without being flashy. Tasty without being tarty. Bold, without being boring.....

Boing Boing....


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?