<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, December 19, 2004

Last night the love of my life, Helene and I went to dinner at Enotria in Sacramento, after an afternoon of finding an authentic Philly Cheese Steak shop (it was as close to Philly as I've had in California) then shopping at the Galleria in Roseville and some wine tasting at a neat wine bar in Rocklin, CA called Eureka and Wine where we met Chris the owner and tasted three reds-a wonderful Storybook Mountain Zin, a nice Erhardt Petite Sirah and some Napa Cab that I forget the name of. My SoCal friends that know me well would say I really must be in love if I'm forgetting wine names and notes, because they know I never forget to remember a wine.

Well, I guess I'm a bit distracted these days and nights. You see, in life we go through trying and tasting many wines, always looking to find that one special wine to call our own.Well folks, I've found mine !

She's a 1963 Vintage white, with sweet golden delicious overtones. Tight, firm and with good grip, along with a long lingering finish, my limited edition bottling, only one was ever hand crafted, is that special bottle you find that you know is for long term aging, but is vibrant and youthful and most enjoyable right now and for many years to come.

Contrary to how some may think, this one is not like any of my bargain priced favorites like Terra Rosa, Castle Rock or Grove Street, but like those, she is really a "must have." Besides, she's sure no Two Buck Chuck--even though I did find two bottles of that so called wine in her kitchen which are enroute to being forever banned from her house. But excuse me, I'm whining about that, but rightfully so some would say who have experienced the same Andy exorcism of that label.

No, my "find" of the year is perfect blend of Margaux (for aging) and Romanee Conti (for style) with enough spicy Lucien Barrot Chateauneuf du Pape thrown in to always keep me coming back for more. We met over red wine and the glass has been full ever since. If I'm posting less, it's because I'm sharing wine and great times in a truly special manner with a really special lady. Who knows, there may even be a "second" label in our future in the next vintage.

I invite you to share in our wine experience of yesterday, and going forward, for I've surely met my real, one and only true WinePal !


2003 Miner Viognier
A very light, one dimensional Viognier with light lemon and a hot finish. This wine while good, pales in comparison to both the Cooper Garrod and Wildrotter Viogniers I've had recently.

2002 Voss Sauvignon Blanc
Ripe and round flavors of pears and lemongrass. This easy to drink white offers up a deep pear finish. While not like a traditional Sancerre, or even an New Zealand SB, the Voss was flavorful and tasty, and a great start before dinner.

2001 Fournier Sancerre Loire Valley
Very concentrated with minerals, limestone, wet stones, slate all backed by a lemon and lime mid palate. The wine is grassy and herbaceous but not overblown. Think fresh cut hay and saw grass with a hint of palmetto.

2002 Keller Sonoma Coast Chardonnay
Green apples and golden pears, with a hint of almond and hazelnut and fresh cream. This is typical California Chardonnay, and one more reason why I look for Austrian and Spanish whites, along with Rhone grapes in my glass.

2002 Grove Mill Marlborough NZ Pinot Noir
Possessing a real deep core of black cherry and plums and some subtle Pinot spice all wrapped around a long rich middle of raspberry. The wine has good balance and is only marred by its need to be drunk soon.

2001 Las Rocas Grenache Catalayud Spain
This Spanish bargain offers up all kinds of black raspberry, kirsch and red plums and a light black pepper base. While not CdP or Gigondas or even Rioja, this wine is a big and bold warrior that works perfect with garlicky linguine.

1997 Krutzler Blaufrankisch Austria
Somewhere between Pinot and Grenache this indigenous grape from Austria, is round, ripe, fruity and fully ready now. Showing off flavors of star anise, licorice and black cherry wishniak, the ending is summed up with a very evident dried sweet blackberry flavor.

2002 Ehrhardt Petite Sirah Clarksburg
We actually had this earlier also in the afternoon at Eureka and Wine in Rocklin. This very much old vine red is massive, with chunky red plums and berries on the advance and wild cherry and blackberry flavors, all saturated inside an encasement of blueberries and tar. If you like hedonistic and rustic non-stop thrill rides this is one for you.


Cheers,

Andy

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?