<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Whoever said they don’t want Merlot is, well, Sideways. The last three Napa Valley Merlot’s I’ve had, the 2001 Keenan, 2000 Peter Paul and now the 2002 Gargiulo Vineyards Money Road Ranch release have all been super.

While Cabernets take more time to age, Napa Merlot has the ability to drink well young, but a good Merlot can age rather well. Back in the day when I drank lots of California wine, and I was building my collection, the Cabernet’s from 1984 and 85 were too young to drink, so Merlots from the 1985 vintage were my red wine of choice. I remember the 1985 Shafer Napa Valley which was all Merlot. Then there was the 1985 Inglenook Cask Reserve Merlot, made from 85% Merlot and 15% Cabernet. Now those two wines were so tasty that served blind with Cabernets most people never thought they were Merlot.

That’s why this new wine is so, so good. The 2002 Gargiulo Vineyards Money Road Ranch is a throwback kind of wine. Anthracite coal, black cherry, plums, cranberry, black tar and just a hint of berry spice. The wine is elegant, well balanced and while not one for the ages, I can easily see this wine going for five to seven years without any difficulty.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?